At the meeting in Flensburg on 5 December 2014, the ECMI Advisory Council has elected its chairperson for the following term. Dr. Jennifer Jackson-Preece has taken over as chairperson of the ECMI Advisory Council for the 2014 through 2016.
The ECMI Advisory Council is there to promote the ECMI activities towards European institutions and specialists within the field of minority issues. The Council is a supportive body of the European Centre for Minority Issues not to be confused with the ECMI Executive Board. ECMI Advisory Council members are appointed by the ECMI Executive Board, while the Advisory Council chairperson is elected by the Council itself. For the second term in a row, the Council is headed by Dr. Jennifer Jackson-Preece.
The ECMI Advisory Council consists of eminent scholars within the field of minority issues. The team members have all excelled in the area of minority research and represent new disciplines that ECMI finds increasingly relevant to its research field. The Advisory Council supports the ECMI mission by establishing contacts with persons, institutions and organizations, assume duties of representation and promote the ECMI activities vis-à-vis European institutions and in specialist circles.
The current members of the ECMI Advisory Council are:
- Dr. Jennifer Jackson Preece (Chairperson), Associate Professor of Nationalism at the European Institute & Department of International Relations, London School of Economics and Political Science, UK
- Prof. Sia Spiliopoulou Åkermark, Director of the The Åland Island Peace Institute, Member from Sweden of the Advisory Committee to the European Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities (FCNM)
- Prof. Florian Bieber, Professor at the University of Graz and Centre for East European Studies, Graz
- Prof. François Grin, Director of the Observatoire Langues Formation, University of Geneva, Switzerland. Professor of Economics at the School of Translation and Interpretation, University of Geneva, Switzerland
- Dr. Kinga Gal, Member of the European Parliament for Hungary
- Prof. David J. Galbreath, Professor of International Security, University of Bath, UK
- Prof. James Hughes, Professor of Political Science at London School of Economics, UK
- Prof. Will Kymlicka, Professor at the Canada Research Chair in Political Philosophy at Queen’s University, Kingston, Canada
- Prof. Stefan Oeter, Professor of Law at the University of Hamburg, Germany and President of the Advisory Committee to the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages (ECRML)
- Prof. John Packer, Professor of Law, Director of the Human Rights Research and Education Centre, University of Ottawa, Canada
- Prof. Levente Salat, Professor of Political Science at Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj, Romania
- Dr. Gwendolyn Sasse, Professorial Fellow at the Nuffiels College and University Reader in the Comparative Politics of Central and Eastern Europe, University of Oxford, UK
- Prof. David Smith, Professor of Baltic History and Politics, School of Social and Political Science, University of Glasgow, UK
- Prof. Michal Vašečka, Professor at the Department of Sociology, Masaryk University, Czech Republic and Centre for the Research of Culture and Ethnicity, Slovakia as well as Member of the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI)
- Prof. Stefan Wolff, Professor of International Security at the University of Birmingham, UK