The regular renewal of the ECMI Advisory Council is now in place. The above mentioned five professors have all accepted the appointment as new member of the Council, while professors Thomas Diez and Joseph Marko have chosen to leave the ECMI Advisory Council.
The 2014-2016 ECMI Advisory Council is:
- Dr Jennifer Jackson-Preece (Chairperson), Senior Lecturer at the European Studies Programme at the London School of Economics and Political Science
- Professor James Hughes, Political Science at the London School of Economics and Political Science
- Professor Florian Bieber, University of Graz and Centre for East European Studies, Graz
- Professor François Grin, Director of the Observatoire Langues Formation, University of Geneva. Professor of Economics at the School of Translation and Interpretation, University of Geneva
- Dr Kinga Gal, MEP for Hungary
- Professor David J. Galbreath, Professor of International Security, University of Bath
- Professor Stefan Oeter, Professor of Law at the University of Hamburg, and President of the Advisory Committee to the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages (ECRML)
- Professor John Packer, Professor of Law, Director, Human Rights Research and Education Centre, University of Ottawa.
- Professor Levente Salat, Professor of Political Science at Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj
- Dr Gwendolyn Sasse, Professorial Fellow, Nuffield College, Reader in the Comparative Politics of Central and Eastern Europe, University of Oxford
- Professor David Smith, Professor of Baltic History and Politics, School of Social and Political Science, University of Glasgow
- Professor Michal Vašečka, Department of Sociology, Masaryk University, Czech Republic, and Centre for the Research of Culture and Ethnicity, Slovakia, as well as Member of the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI)
- Professor Sia Spiliopoulou Åkermark, Director, The Åland Island Peace Institute, Member from Sweden of the Advisory Committee to the European Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities (FCNM)
- Professor Stefan Wolff, Professor of International Security, University of Birmingham
- Professor Will Kymlicka, Canada Research Chair in Political Philosophy at Queen’s University, Kingston
Read also: Crimea Crisis reflections (by ECMI Advisory Council members)
Read also: Ukraine Crisis reflections (by ECMI Advisory Council members and more)
Read also: Now online: ECMI Advisory Council reflections on the minority governance impasse
More ECMI Advisory Council related information at ECMI InfoChannel
Facts: ECMI Advisory Council
The Advisory Council supports the ECMI mission by establishing contacts with persons, institutions and organizations, assume duties of representation and promote the ECMI activities vis-à-vis European institutions and in specialist circles.
From the ECMI Flickr archives: ECMI Advisory Council conference 2012. Panel discussion: How to link macro and micro efforts? as part of the general conference theme: The Minority Governance Impasse – Overcoming the Macro-micro Divide. From left: Dr Ilze Brands Kehris (Moderator), Professor Dr Stefan Oeter, Professor Dr James Hughes, MEP Kinga Gal, Dr Jennifer Jackson-Preece, Professor Levente Salat, Professor Dr Thomas Diez, Professor Stefan Wolff.