ECMI Kosovo has assessed the minority communities’ figures established by the Kosovo Population and Housing Census 2011. The assessment and the study behind were issued in a policy brief that was released on 18 December.
The policy brief compares the final census data, released in September 2012, with previous population estimates made by ECMI Kosovo and the OSCE Mission in Kosovo in 2010 and 2011, as well as electoral participation data. The figures should be used with care, recommends the policy brief.
It is the failure of northern Kosovo’s participation and the partial boycott by Serb and Roma communities in southern Kosovo that jeopardizes the validity of the census results.
The following is the summary version of the recommendations given by ECMI Kosovo:
- Always include a footnote when making reference to the Kosovo 2011 census results, specifying that northern Kosovo was excluded and that there was a partial boycott by the Serb and Roma communities
- Avoid relying exclusively on census results concerning the Serb and Roma communities for planning or decision making purposes, as they cannot be considered to be representative due to the exclusion of northern Kosovo and the partial boycott in southern Kosovo
- Use census results concerning other non-majority communities in Kosovo with caution
- Conduct further analysis on the validity and accuracy of census results for all non-majority communities in Kosovo in order to avoid uncertainty and dissatisfaction among these communities, which may ultimately affect perceptions and attitudes towards institutions in Kosovo
- Include Croats and Montenegrins as separate ethnic groups in the next census.
Figures take effect
Minority population statistics are of great significance in Kosovo, because a series of community rights and provisions are linked to them. They can potentially impact budget allocation in planning processes or open up a debate on provisions regarding political representation.
Read also: New demography figures in Kosovo are significant for minorities
Read also: Koha Ditore: ECMI-ja: Mospërfshirja e veriut në regjistrim të futet në fusnotë
Confer also: The EthnoPolitical Map of Kosovo
Read also: European Centre for Minority Issues Kosovo, Policy Brief, 18 December 2012